How to Best Enjoy the Solar Eclipse
March 19, 2015
On Friday, March 20, a solar eclipse will take place, during which the moon will mask a little over 80% of the sun. This rare event will be worth watching and should be visible in Paris if weather permits.
In order to watch the eclipse, it’s necessary to wear special sunglasses. Here are some places where you might be able to find them:
- Opticians and pharmacies
- Nature & Découvertes Stores (list of locations here)
- La Maison de l’Astronomie (33 rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris)
- Newspaper stands
- The Tour Montparnasse: Take your glasses and climb up over the rooftops of Paris. The terrace here will give you a gorgeous panoramic view over the city in addition to the eclipse. More information here.
- The roof of Galeries Lafayette: Here lies the perfect opportunity to watch the eclipse if you’ve already planned a morning of shopping. Find out more about Galeries Lafayette here.
- The gardens in front of the Cité des Sciences et de l’Industrie: Come watch the eclipse in the company of the scientific community. Don’t hesitate to check out the museum right after.
- The Parc Montsouris: Here you can view the eclipse amongst members of L’Association Française d’Astronomie (The French Association of Astronomy). These enthusiasts of the sky already organize nights of stargazing and stick around to explain different constellations.
- The vantage point of Buttes Chaumont: This is probably the most romantic place to watch the eclipse, and a wonderful opportunity to re-discover the Buttes Chaumont.
Various websites will be live streaming the eclipse… something you won’t need special sunglasses to watch.